The average person has sex 112 times a year, it is not only fun but also has a whole host of health benefits for both men and women. You do not have to turn to grueling workouts or diets to stay healthy, it can be as simple as maintaining a healthy sex life.
The benefits of sex include:
1. A healthy immune system – A study has shown that sexually active people take fewer sick days off of work. This is due to the higher level of certain antibodies which defend your body. Immunoglobulin A is one of those antibodies and is your body’s first line of defense, which fights off invasion at entry points.
2. Improves bladder control – Similar to kegel exercises sex is exercise for your pelvic floor. The contractions during foreplay and intercourse help strengthen the muscles, which improve bladder control.
3. Lowers blood pressure – Studies indicate that sexual intercourse lowers systolic blood pressure.
4. Exercise – It counts as cardio exercise. We burn approximately 5 calories per minute during sex, and so the longer the duration of sex, the better. It also increases your heart rate, uses various muscles such as your thighs, back, and arms. Sex has the added benefit of increasing flexibility, and balance.
5. Lowers the risk of heart attack – Research shows that men who have sex twice a week are at a lower risk of having a heart attack, and are 45% less likely to get heart disease.
6. Glowing skin – Orgasms release a hormone called DHEA that can heal damaged skin. At the same time estrogen and testosterone is also released. More estrogen can lead to softer skin and shinier hair. A study has even showed that people who have sex every other day look younger (up to 7-12 years) than those who don’t.
7. Better mood – The exposure to semen (its absorption into tissue) can elevate mood and reduce depression, and suicidal thoughts. This is because semen contains a lot of mood enhancing chemicals such as oxytocin, serotonin, and endorphins.
8. Lighter periods – Sex during menstruation may not sound attractive, however orgasms contract the uterus ridding the body of compounds which cause cramps, as well as helping the body get rid of blood and tissue more quickly, resulting in a shorter period.
9. Disease prevention in women – As well as helping with the duration of your period, sex can also protect against endometriosis, which is a condition where tissue normally found inside the uterus grows on the outside. It is beneficial for women who have been through menopause too. Studies have shown that women who remain sexually active after menopause are less likely to have significant vaginal atrophy.
10. Lessens pain – Sex releases pain reducing hormones and has been shown to block chronic pain, relieve headaches, and menstrual cramps pain, as well as alleviate back and leg pain, and pain associated with arthritis.
11. Improves sleep – Oxytocin is released during orgasm which promotes sleep, and prolactin is released after sex which helps one relax and makes you sleepy.
12. Reduces stress – Chemicals associated with the pleasure and reward system can be released too. Research has shown significant improvements in self-esteem and people respond better in stressful situations.
13. Reduces risk of prostate cancer – Men who ejaculate 21 times a month, whether through sex or masturbation, have a lower risk of developing prostate cancer. There is not enough research to indicate the reason however studies have shown an association between the two.
The above benefits should inspire you to increase your sexual activity, and if your partner complains of not feeling well, or being stressed, then you now know what to suggest. Keep up a regular sex life and stay healthy!
StaySafe PRODUCT RANGE